Cafe Coffee Day (CCD) is a division of India's largest coffee conglomerate, Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company Ltd. (ABCTCL). ABCTCL grows coffee in its own estates of 10,000 acres (4047 ha). The land value of the plantations is US$250-300 million. It is the largest producer of Arabica beans in Asia. Apart from this, the group also sources coffee from 11,000 small growers. ABCTCL is one of India's leading coffee exporters with clients across USA, Europe and Japan. They currently have over 15,000 outlets spread across 28 states of India (including one each in Karachi, Vienna, Prague and Dubai). The number increases almost every week and so do the number of highly qualified, skilled team members at each of the outlets. The problems that this program seeks to address for CCD include:
1. Manpower shortage: Shortage of coffee Brewmasters across outlets especially in Tier I cities like Bangalore, Chennai, Pune & Mumbai
2. Skill levels of workforce:
- All new recruits are put through an induction program which is for short term & most of the learning is on the job leaving glaring skill gaps
- New recruits need to hit the road running and that leaves limited time for developing basic technical & soft skills for making & serving coffee
3. High Attrition: High demand for English speaking youth results in quick job changes at small increments largely due to unmet aspirations of youth for career progression and higher education.